Inspired by the Arden Theater’s production of Pinocchio, on stage from April 13-June 23, 2013, Philadelphia Stories is excited to announce its first contest for young writers! Philadelphia Stories, Jr., in partnership with the Arden Theatre Company, will co-host the Pinocchio Writing & Art Contest (deadline June 30, 2013). Here’s how it works:
- Reimagine Pinocchio’s story through an original poem, short story, or work of art. Your original work can consider questions such as: What is your character made of? Where does your character live? What does he look like? What lies does your character tell and why does your character tell them? What act of bravery must your character do to earn forgiveness? Have fun with these questions, or feel free to make up your own ideas!
- Submit: Writers and artists in grades K-12 can send their contest entries by June 30, 2013 to the ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM. Please complete all fields and add the words “PINOCCHIO CONTEST” to your title or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Stories must be no longer than 1000 words. Poems should be no more than 36 lines. Photos of any kind of appropriate artwork will be considered.
- The editors of Philadelphia Stories Jr. will pick 9 finalists, 3 from each grade category (K-4, 5-8, 9-12). The finalists will be published in the online edition of the Fall/Winter 2013-14 issues of Philadelphia Stories Jr. and on the Arden Blog.
- 3 Grand Prizes: Readers can visit the Facebook pages for the Arden Theatre Company and Philadelphia Stories Jr. to vote for their favorites. One winner from each grade category will be named on September 1 and notified via email. Each winner will receive a $50 cash prize, a one-day workshop at the Arden Drama School, a Pinocchio T-shirt, and publication in the print issue of Fall/Winter 2013-14 issue of Philadelphia Stories Jr.
- All 9 Finalists will win 4 tickets to the first show of the Arden’s 2013/14 Children’s Theatre season!